I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately. About fate and
free will and destiny. I suppose I always think about these things, and lately
I feel I’ve been challenged a bit, but something finally clicked and this is
what I figured out.
We are like trees. To grow and rise up is our destiny.
Within that destiny we have many possible fates. Some fates we are more
destined for (and we will consistently be called and compelled towards) but
there are many possible end fates. Looking at a tree, there are many different
branches, some are low, some are high, some are fruitful and blossom, some are
bare. Some are sturdy and strong, others are weird and weak. All of the
branches of the tree stem from the same trunk. We have many possibilities.
So imagine you are a squirrel. You start off at the base of
this tree. You climb straight up the trunk, and then you hit a crossroads where
the branches split. Looking up, you see both paths and that there is an
abundance of leaves and flowers and fruit up above, and you are excited and
hungry and full of energy, so you make a choice and travel up that branch. And
those splits happen as you travel up the branch and everything you are doing is
all part of your fate. It is all as it should be and always should be.
Everything is right.
But sometimes you start to go off on a branch (by free will
and freedom of choice) that seemed great and then- WHOAH! Someone came around
with a chainsaw and cut the rest of the branch off- and you can no longer
follow that branch (path) because that opportunity no longer exists (Fate is
intercepting your destiny).
So you keep going on, doing as you do, everything is as it
always should be. But you cannot climb backwards, although sometimes while
climbing, you lose your footing and slip, and end up catching yourself having
fallen onto a different branch, one you had never explored previously.
Or sometimes you reach the end of a shorter branch, and as a
squirrel you can climb and jump and sail through the air, so you can jump over
to another branch and climb higher, skipping over a part of the branch you
would have had to climb up, had you chosen that branch initially. You cannot
sail across the tree, but you always have options I suppose to jump to a nearby
branch. Sometimes you are so high up or far out on a branch that you cannot
jump anywhere and are stuck on your branch.
I guess my point is that sometimes we hit the end of the
branch and we are all the way out, or all the way up. Do we see if there are
leaves and flowers and fruits at the end of our branches? Or at the end of
other branches that are closely connected? Maybe we might hope, but who is to
say that every blossom will indeed become a bloom for fruit? There are no
guarantees in life.
This is why it is essential to life and to enjoy the now.
Enjoy the view of the forest from the branch where you sit upon, don’t yearn to
see it from the top of the tree, you can’t climb back down to relinquish a
previous view once you have already moved on.
I suppose my contemplation came to fruition when I began to
think of how I was previously. How much I plotted and planned and set those
gears into place. Of course I accomplished things; indeed, I am a productive
woman, but no matter what I did: I didn’t get what I wanted. Which is kind of
silly, because I wasn’t wanting things that were unrealistic or unlikely, I
thought I had plotted a stable steady path that was infallible. I didn’t get
the career I initially chose, or the family, or the life, or the lover/husband
or a lot of things. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, I’m very happy for what I
have, I am very blessed. Everything is perfect as it is. But I didn’t get what
I planned for, what I attempted to get, what I wanted. Everything in my life is
as it should be, but it doesn’t make sense that EVERY SINGLE THING I planned
for or really really wanted hasn’t worked out. Everything.
It is like I keep following a recipe and it isn’t turning
out how it was supposed to. What I am cooking seems like the right recipe, I’m
using all the same ingredients, but I’m getting a drastically different result
than what I had planned for. And it is ultimately better, because it is exactly
what I need. I just didn’t know it when I started cooking.
I have been dealt disappointment. I don’t get the men I fall
in love with, drastically so. My heart has broken and fallen and been stomped
upon. Time and time again. The serious
relationships I have given every ounce of effort into have ultimately failed, but
not by my doing. The life I built was destroyed and crumbled. The careers I
chose weren’t for the taking when the timing was right. But I keep traveling on
and doing as I should be doing, in a way passing by branches that were in my
sight when I was lower on in the tree. And the higher up I get, that I have
passed by those opportunities (or rather that they have passed by me…) the more
I see that this is a very tall tree filled with much more to come, I just do
not know what.
But it is all good. I have learned very important life
lessons. I have learned patience. Forgiveness. To live without expectation. Love.
I have discovered happiness. On my own. Facilitated by only
the loving Universe I am within. I have discovered love.
I never get what I want. And that’s okay, because I’m
getting everything I need instead. But sometimes, just sometimes, whether it be fate or free will or whatever have you, it's like that Smith's song: "For once in my life, let me, get what I want; Lord knows it would be the first time"
But then again, all you need is love.

No comments:
Post a Comment